Tuesday 14 July 2015

For the love of Orchids....


To be honest I have always been a little weary of Orchids. They have always seemed so delicate and exotic, I was sure that they were the kind of plant that I would inevitably kill..... and then feel very guilty about for a while.....but it turns out I was wrong.

I have never brought myself an orchid, just admired them from a distance. However a couple of weeks ago I was contacted by Orchidsinfo.eu and asked if i would like to be sent a few orchids to take pictures of for Moon to Moon.... Well of course was my answer... the perfect chance to give Orchid mothering a go...

So I was sent a number of Orchids a couple of weeks ago and after reading about basic Orchid care online they are still alive, and with flowers!!


So here is what I have learnt....

Orchid Basics...

As far as I can see the most important step in orchid care is choosing the right Orchid for your home.

Phalenopsis
The two I have photographed above are called Phalaenopsis, often referred to as moth orchids, these are elegant orchids for indoor use. Their long sprays of colorful flowers stay fresh for months. Flowering begins in winter or early spring. This orchid generally needs less light than other types of Orchid and does well in most indoor conditions.

Watering: 
  • Keep these almost dry between watering, 
  • You can submerge the roots in water but don't leave them there, make sure any excess has drained before putting back in the plant pot
  • Try not to get the leaves wet , dry with a cloth if you do
Feeding
You can buy commercially made Orchid food which is what I did, I am sure there are some great non-chemical orchid foods out there but at this stage in my self-doubting orchid mama role I just did the easy thing

Maintaining the Blooms
 Peak blooming time starts from late winter, primarily February and March in the northern hemisphere. Blooms normally last from four to twelve weeks.
  • When the blooms fade, cut off the spike 1/2 inch (12mm) above where it projects from the foliage. 
  • Trim off any dead leaves and tissue, including old flower stems, old leaves, anything rotting, dead roots, etc.
Pruning and care
Don't prune an orchid like a shrub. If you cut part of an orchid leaf, the rest of the leaf may die, and cutting into a live pseudobulb will severely damage your orchid.

Other tips....

The ice Cube trick..... This is one I am going to try...

Apparently you can just add three ice cubes once a week and that will be enough to ensure your Orchid has enough water....

Give Away
If you live on the mainland of the UK and would like to try an Orchid then please comment below and I will choose one commenter on Friday and send them an Orchid

Also if you have any trips or tricks to share please comment below also, I wouldlove to know how you care for your orchids...


3 comments:

Patricia G said...

They look really good in your home. They have that ikebana feel. Whenever I've had them (as gifts) I've kept them for years and years without really knowing the correct way to look after them. What I do know is to keep them away from strong sunlight. I reluctantly composted them when I just couldn't get them to flower anymore.

Greta said...

An orchid could be a lovely addition to my Japanese Peace Lily and a bunch of succulents! My mum is a fan of them and I always wanted to try. They look so fragile but so enchanting at the same time! Flowers of the fairies :)

Katie said...

Such beautiful plants, thank you for this timely reminder. I am ridiculously excited at this point as I am getting a house in a matter of days having lived on a tiny boat with no room for plants (or anything much!) for the last few years. I have a couple of house leeks and a cactus awaiting their new home, I must add an orchid to my list :)